Welcome to the Nelson Community Council Website

Nelson takes its name from the Lord Nelson Inn, a public house around which the village developed from the early 1800s. It is notable for having one of the last remaining Welsh handball (pêl-law) courts.
To the north of the village is the sixteenth-century Llancaiach Fawr manor house, now a living history museum. Rising onto Mynydd Eglwysilan to the south is the parish of Llanfabon with its small church of St Mabon.
In the graveyard is a distinctive memorial to eleven unidentified victims of the Albion Colliery disaster of 1894. Nearby is the seventeenth-century Welsh long house Llechwen Hall, now a country house hotel.
The village can also lay claim to some well-known past and present residents including: Simon Weston OBE; Kate Thomas, Lord Lieutenant of Mid Glamorgan; Edward Pritchard, Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1638; Robert Spragg AKA Larry Love; Sir Tasker Watkins VC GBE PC; and Cllr Len Lewis MBE.

 


Our councillors

Meetings

Next meeting

TBC

See more dates >

Meetings, Agendas and Minutes archive

See all >


Latest news...

Planning List 10/03/2021
Read more >
Bwl Road, Nelson
Read more >

Upcoming event...


Further information

Further info box 1
Read more >
Further info box 2
Read more >
Further info box 3
Read more >